They can make you beautiful. They can mean throwing away the mascara. They can mean waking up without raccoon eyes. They’re eyelash extensions and here are 6 things to know about how to get them and wear them.
1. What is an Eyelash Extension? Eyelash extensions are singular. Each is a lash and each lash is applied to one of your lashes with a special glue. They are applied one by one and that makes the look completely natural – your lashes are longer and fuller, but they look like they are all yours. You can choose from silk, mink or synthetic. Synthetic is your best choice the first time around. They’re very light and less expensive – and look just like one of your own.
2. Do I Pick My Look? Definitely! Although you probably want input from your eyelash extension stylist. The shape of your eye will be taken into consideration and you can look at photos of different applications. A hint – start out with a natural look before you go for high drama. Get used to the new you with long, curly eyelashes. That may be all the drama you need.
3. What does it Feel Like? When your eyelashes are applied, it’s going to be much easier than you think. It’s pain free and it happens with your eyes closed. It’s relaxing – so relaxing you’ll find #lashnap. You lie on your back and the stylist sits above your head. Each lash is separated and a longer lash – the eyelash extension – is glued to your lash.
4. How Long does it Take? The application of your first full set of eyelash extensions will take about 2 or 2 ½ hours and you’ll think it was worth every minute.
5. What Can I Do? Pretty much whatever you want. Your stylist will ask you to keep your new extensions dry for anywhere from 12 to 24 hours. After that, you can swim. You can shower. But you do want to be careful with your new eyelashes so they last longer! Ask your stylist for advice on the best ways to apply eye makeup and take it off.
6. How Long Will They Last? Your extensions will be shed during the natural growth cycle of your eyelashes. That cycle is usually about 6 to 8 weeks but your lashes all have their own growth cycle as you’re losing and growing eyelashes all the time. It’s recommended that you come back every 2 to 4 weeks for a “fill” that will take less time and keep your beautiful new look.
Many women who try eyelash extensions never go without them again. They add to your natural beauty and they look like you were born with them. Just be sure to select an eyelash salon that has experienced stylists. You’ve just made a beautiful decision!