It’s something people seem to know instinctively. Eyelashes make your eyes – and your face – lovelier. You want to protect your eyelashes so here are 5 things you should avoid.
1. Don’t Rub your Eyes Constantly. That may be a hard rule to follow during allergy season, but rubbing your eyes frequently is eventually going to weaken the growth and regrowth process by irritating the eyelash’s follicles. Try over-the-counter allergy medicine and/or eyedrops. If that’s not enough, talk to your doctor. You don’t want to damage your eyelashes so limit rubbing your eyes.
2. Don’t Sleep in Mascara. It may seem harmless and the only damage you expect may be morning racoon eyes. However, leaving your mascara on at night does more than that. Mascara dehydrates your lashes and not getting moisture can make them dry and brittle. You probably use a waterproof mascara for its staying power, but it also is the most drying of all. Remove your mascara and pay attention to problem #1 – don’t rub or scrub it off. Instead, gently remove it with a cotton ball and eye makeup remover. If you don’t have remover, try olive oil on the cotton ball to remove mascara gently.
3. Faking it too Much. OK, fake eyelashes are a great way to achieve that full look you want for a special occasion, but overusing false eyelashes can damage the eyelashes you have. The glue can be strong and contain chemicals that can weaken the roots of your eyelashes. Removing that glue can mean that you also remove some of your real lashes. Use false eyelashes for special occasions – not daily wear and remove them carefully.
4. Curl without Pulling. When you use your eyelash curler you give your eyes wide-open appeal, but, again, use it carefully. Don’t tug or pull on the lashes. Make sure your curler is clean so you don’t end up sticking your lashes to some old mascara or makeup that might pull them out. Plus, a clean curler reduces the chance of an eye infection. Curl for about 5 seconds – no more – to reduce damage to your lashes.
5. Be Healthy! Eat foods that are rich in Vitamin C to aid in the absorption of iron which is good for hair growth. Include Vitamin D to strength your hair – on your head and eyelids. Vitamin H from whole grains and mushrooms will help rebuild hair and revive fullness. Finally, give it a break – your eyelashes that is. Go without makeup every so often and let your eyelashes breath and recover!
If you’re doing everything wrong because you don’t want to ever be without lush, long, full eyelashes with a perfect curl, consider something different – eyelash extensions! Professionally and gently applied, eyelash extensions come in all shapes to highlight your eyes exactly the way you want. They are attached to your real lashes and don’t need to be removed. They’ll fall out with your lash as your lashes go through the pattern of regrowth. Refill appointments keep your extensions exactly right. Best of all, no mascara needed. You have beautiful lashes all day and all night, 24/7.